Thursday, August 11, 2005

Texicans

I can almost hear millions of white anuses puckering up anxiously...

Texas Becomes a Majority-Minority State
"EL PASO, Texas (AP) - Texas has become the fourth state to have a non-white majority population, the U.S. Census Bureau said Thursday, a trend driven by a surging number of Hispanics moving to the state.

According to the population estimates based on the 2000 Census, about 50.2 percent of Texans are now minorities. In the 2000 Census, minorities made up about 47 percent of the population in the second-largest state.

Texas joins California, New Mexico and Hawaii as states with majority-minority populations - with Hispanics the largest group in every state but Hawaii, where it is Asian-Americans.
Five other states - Maryland, Mississippi, Georgia, New York and Arizona - aren't far behind, with about 40 percent minorities.”

Quick, everyone, lock up your daughters, the hispanics are coming! And they're out to take all of our highly sought after landscaping, fast food, and construction jobs! Oh the humanity! We better put armed minute men on the border now! Oh wait.....we already did.

This article makes me very happy. The sooner we can all start doing it with each other and get rid of this whole race thing, the better. As you have probably gathered from my earlier posts, there are many things that I do not like about Houston. I hate the rampant religious fundamentalism. I hate the blind devotion to conservative politics. I hate the closed mindedness. And of course, I hate the mosquitoes. But one thing that I love about Houston is the preponderance of interracial couples here. They’re everywhere. Two white women in my office are married to Hispanic men. My brother-in-law is Mexican. I know plenty of mixed couples of all different races. And despite how conservative Texas is, everyone seems to be fine with it. I guess that's what happens in diverse communities--racism gradually fades away. I think it’s really beautiful. I wish more of America could be like that.

But, unfortunately, hesitance regarding interracial marriage is still one of the last bastions of racism in our country. I found that out the hard way. When I was in seventh grade, I got my first real boyfriend. His name was Nick, and he was black. I liked him because he was cute and popular. He was the star of the basketball team. I never thought twice about dating him. Why would I? My parents had always professed that they loved their neighbors regardless of their skin color. But you should have seen their faces when I told them about Nick. If only I had taken a picture. You would have thought I had told them I was pregnant!

Apparently, telling my parents I was dating a black guy time warped us to another decade, because they FREAKED OUT. They actually forbid me to see him. They told me that it wasn’t because they had a problem with it.....it was because society did. And what would happen to our poor mixed-race children? (as if we were going to have kids in seventh grade) They said they were protecting me. From what? A nice relationship with a great guy? What a pile of bullshit.

So for two years, I continued to secretly see Nick, but I had to sneak phone calls to him at night after my parents went to bed. It took them over a year to finally come around and see that they were wrong. If you want to find out if someone is really racist, see what happens when their child dates someone of another race.

So to all of you minorities headed for this country, I say, come on in. You can only make things better.